An Indian vocalist in the Hindustani classical tradition Bhimsen Joshi (Pandit Bhimsen Gururaj Joshi) died in a Pune hospital Monday, after a prolonged illness. He was 89.
Pandit Bhimsen Gururaj Joshi (February 4, 1922 – January 24, 2011) was an Indian vocalist in the Hindustani classical tradition. A member of the Kirana Gharana (school), he is renowned for the khayal form of singing, as well as for his popular renditions of devotional music (bhajans and abhangs). He is the most recent recipient of the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour, awarded in 2008
He was born into a Kannada Brahmin family in the town of Gadag in northern part of Karnataka state. His father, Gururaj Joshi, was a school teacher. Bhimsen is the eldest in a family of 16 siblings. Some of the siblings still live in their ancestral home in Gadag. Bhimsen lost his mother when he was young, and his step mother raised him.
He was conferred the country’s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna in 2008.
To Read More About Pandit Bhimsen Joshi CLICK HERENumber of View :4866
Possibly Related Posts:
- Tips To Save Time During Document Verification At Bishop Kalyani Nagar School
- Bishop School 2012-2013 Admissions Online Forms Fees Selection Results Age Limit For Nursery Co-Ed School KalyaniNagar Undri Camp
- Oneness TamilNadu Youth Mahadeeksha – II
- www.cbse.nic.in CBSE Exam Date Sheet 2011 Online CBSE Exam Schedule 10th 12th Exam Results
- Telangana Report Key Points Sri Krishna Committee Report On Telangana Summary Online